These links provide more in-depth information on enforcement-related topics and the environmental responsibilities of various state agencies.
For information on reporting a pollution incident, please see DEQ pollution response. For information on DEQ enforcement offices, please see enforcement contacts. Other links that may be of interest include:
- Virginia Department of Health - Environmental Health Services is a program area administered by the Department of Health. Environmental Health Services include onsite sewage, water services, environmental engineering, and marina programs.
- Virginia Department of Labor and Industry - This agency has responsibility for protecting worker safety, to include air quality in the workplace, and providing directions for the safe handling of hazardous materials.
- Virginia Department of Conservation and Recreation (DCR) - This agency has responsibility for promoting soil and water conservation and for controlling non-point source pollution and storm water runoff. In addition, DCR oversees programs devoted to locating and protecting rare, endangered, or otherwise valuable plants, animal and natural habitats located within the Commonwealth.
- Virginia Marine Resources Commission - This agency has primary responsibility for protecting the Commonwealth's marine resources, as well as for protecting tidal wetlands located within the Commonwealth.
- Virginia Department of Game and Inland Fisheries - This agency has responsibility to protect and manage game (fish and wildlife) and nongame species, and boating regulation and safety.
- Virginia Department of Mines, Minerals and Energy - This agency regulates mining activities, including discharges of wastewater from coal washing operations and mine restoration/reclamation activities.
- U.S. Environmental Protection Agency - EPA has many regulatory programs addressing environmental and natural resources issues. Virginia is located within EPA Region III.
- EPA Web Tool for Providing Clean Water Violation Trends and State Enforcement Response - This provides information on facilities that are violating the Clean Water Act and the actions states are taking to enforce the law and protect people's health.